Monday, December 24, 2007

Beppu Fantasia

I went to the Christmas fireworks at Spa Beach tonight. I always go with Kiyoko and Kayoko, and this time there was someone new named "Pinky" that Kiyoko works with. Seriously, that's how she introduced herself. She wore all pink... jacket, skirt, stockings, and bag. And not just any pink, but that obnoxious, fluorescent color associated with highlighters and funky hair. In my mind I instantly classified her as a weirdo, which was probably quite rude of me. But hey, I call 'em as I see 'em.

The fireworks were scheduled for 8pm but Kiyoko was worried about parking so we headed to the beach at 4pm (surprisingly lots of people were already there) and wandered around eating stuff from the food booths, then sat down right in front of the barge where the fireworks were set up. It was the best spot and we were determined to keep it for ourselves, sitting in the cold for hours waiting for the fireworks to start. Thankfully the main stage was to our right where some (not-so-good) bands played and kept us somewhat entertained.

If you can stand the cold, winter fireworks are fantastic. The colors are so crisp and clear... the smoke dissipates quickly in the cold air and you don't get that hazy look from all the moisture and pollen in the air during the summer. There were some new kinds that I'd never seen before... I especially liked the ones that start with an initial burst of color, then each little spark bursts again into another shower of color. The ones that suddenly changed course in mid-air like haphazard rockets were cool, too.

In Japan Christmas is more about romance and is spent with your significant other, which I find so exclusive coming from an upbringing where we spend it with friends and family and is for everyone.

I happen to have Christmas Day off and don't think it'd be right sitting at home by myself (or with the cat that has yet to be named) so I'll probably go out shopping for a coat. My North Face stuff keeps me warm enough, but after 8 years it's time for a change of fashion.

1 comment:

Speck said...

That's too bad about Christmas! One thing I like about the holidays is that's it's so inclusive. This year Christmas morning will just be my family, but in the evening Mike and Annette are having 5 people over (Me, Gil, Sherry, Jeff & Judy) and they're making homemade pasta and bolognese sauce. I'm going to bring an Oreo/chocolate pudding pie that I made at Thanksgiving and is AWESOME. I'll be thinking of you!
I miss you! It looks like you're really staying out there, eh?