Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Summer has officially ended

For a lot of people, the end of summer means the start of school, the closing of local beaches, and no more summer festivals. But for me, the end of summer occurs when the last of my kabutomushi beetles dies. He passed away this weekend. I found him upside-down and unmoving.

They generally live until the end of August, but my last beetle survived well into September, may he rest in peace.
The larvae born in early summer are getting rather big so I transferred them into uncovered garbage cans instead of paying for proper beetle aquariums. I don't have the exact number but I estimate somewhere around 50 larvae, about half of which will pupate into beetles next summer. Right now they're as long as my middle finger and as thick as my thumb.Here's a better picture where you can kind of see their cool orange heads and pincers. I keep 'em in the entrance hall of my apartment. Sometimes they burrow out and rest on top of the dirt, waiting for me to come home.

No comments: