Saturday, September 09, 2006

Never too old! Never!

Lately I feel like everyone around me talks about how old they're getting. They can't do this or that because they're getting old. That they just don't have the energy to go out dancing like they used to. Used to? They make it sound like a couple years is a whole generation ago. We aren't rolling ourselves around in wheelchairs, people! Age is just a number! The rest is all in your head.

Now Hiromi here is proof that age means nothing. She spends her days quietly filing papers in a law office. But on weekends, she hops around live-houses and keeps me up to date on all the cool up-and-coming bands. Then a few months ago she decided that Korean lessons weren't doing it for her anymore and decided to take up the electric guitar (aside from her weekly kickboxing lessons). Let's be a Hiromi!

The guy she studies with had all his students group together into bands and they put on a concert last weekend. It was pretty good! Amazing how she started from scratch and got good enough to play three songs on stage. Proof that we're never too old to learn new tricks. Of course she had her eyes on the guitar the whole time and was so nervous she felt like barfing, but what a great effort! And the guts to perform when all the other bands were made of high school kids.

One of the bands she likes is coming to Oita in December so I looked them up on You-Tube and found a few videos. They're good! Got the kind of sound I love. It's still kinda early but will see if I can reserve myself a ticket. Here are some videos . . .

I like this one a lot. The band's called Elle Garden and I think the lead singer used to live in San Francisco. In the last week I've listened to this song about 80 times I like it that much.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JBGfyKqOOcs

This one gets played on MTV but I can't seem to make much sense of the lyrics.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e4OoVZcvJgk

1 comment:

Speck said...

Hmmm..I haven't heard of them. Cool songs.