Friday, March 28, 2008

The Golden Compass

Starting today my workplace is closed for spring vacation!! We don't get any national holidays but two weeks of spring vacation makes up for that.

After finishing some errands in Oita City I decided to check out a movie. The Japanese title was pretty dumb (Lyra's Adventures) but the Narnia-like smell attracted me to it.

I loved it. There were interesting side plots and secrets left untold. It not only kept my interest but pulled me into that world, and kept me wondering what life would be like having our souls beside us in physical form. If you check out the official site you can watch the first five minutes of the movie and learn a little about the world the movie takes place in.

When I got home I did a little searching to find out more about the movie and discovered that a lot of people didn't like it, simply because it wasn't loyal to the book. I guess some people are unforgiving of artistic liberties and don't realize that it's impossible to turn hundreds of pages of detail into a 2-hour visual story. Personally I enjoy movies more when they differ from the books because we aren't simply watching what we expect to happen, and have something to look forward to. Also if I've read a book before the movie, I don't want the movie to try and replace the images I had while reading the book, which are usually much better.

In any case, I'll try to find the book to see if it can answer some questions I had while watching the movie. And since the book is supposedly different, I'll probably be able enjoy it by itself as a separate story.

2 comments:

Joel Swagman said...

Haven't seen the movie yet, but did read the book and enjoyed it. I've heard that because the movie didn't do well, they might not make any of the sequels though

inertbat said...

That's a shame. I read that the original director quit because the scope of the film was tremendous, then came back to it when his replacement wasn't doing very well. I do hope they continue with the sequel. The effects were simply amazing.