Friday, February 02, 2007

what students do in class

In a previous post I mentioned watching a TV program that described how our ears naturally degenerate with age and lose their sense of hearing. I couldn't hear the sounds that were supposedly coming out of the TV, and was slightly disturbed to find that I have the ears of a 50-year-old. But it turns out that the problem wasn't with me, it was that my crappy old TV doesn't transmit sounds in high frequencies!

Today while teaching, some students asked if I could hear anything strange. There was an ear-piercing squealing noise coming from somewhere, like a nail being scratched across a metal sheet. When I asked what that irritating noise was, they seemed surprised. One of the girls was using her cell phone to emit sounds in the range of frequency that only teenagers are able to hear, and they were testing it in their classes to see if the teachers could hear it. I have the ears of a teenager! What a relief. I had really thought that my ears had degenerated well beyond their years when in fact they're younger than normal!

2 comments:

Speck said...

Good for you! I think I have bad hearing. There's supposedly a high-pitched whine in my kitchen that other people can hear but I can't. At least it the sound doesn't bother me, cause I have no idea where it's coming from!

inertbat said...

What you can't hear can't bother you. Ignorance is bliss!