Friday, February 23, 2007

Red Riding Hood

The lead singer of Sophia (Matsuoka Mitsuru) has been on a lot of variety and quiz shows lately. I like his style. Looks good for his age, too. The band's been around for longer than I've been in Japan and even though I'd known about them since shortly after I arrived, I realized that I have no idea what kind of music they play. So I looked them up on YouTube.

It turns out I don't like their music so much, but this video is fantastic. I like the twist on the Red Riding Hood story and how the red colors stand out against the background. But I wonder if people were bothered by the ending enough to complain about it. And what the hell are those weird naked things?

Speaking of controversial videos, I remember when Madonna's "Like a Prayer" video came out and people were upset about the burning cross. So tame compared to the violent gangster and sex-themed videos these days.

4 comments:

Speck said...

I remember when George Michael's 'I want your sex' and Salt N Peppa's 'Let talk about sex' songs came out. Everyone was all 'oohh it's so risque! They shouldn't be singing about that!' Now when you hear them, they're so quaint and tame.

Anonymous said...

Well, that was an interesting video. Unfortunately, I didn't understand anything he was singing, but I liked the music. :) The ending did trouble me a bit. Didn't she kill that thing in self defense? I guess she probably had a public defender as her attorney.

Joel Swagman said...

Thanks for the comment. I'd be interested in getting together as well, and will probably be going through Beppu maybe next week. How would I contact you?

Speck said...

Hey! Good to see more people posting!

Did you ever find your missing Buffy tape? Unfortunately I don't have the double VCR that I used to make copies of tapes. i'm sorry! I didn't buy S6 or S7 on DVD, so my tapes are the only copies I have of those episodes. S7 sucked anyways!

hee hee

btw..yes Simpsons are still on - new eps every Sunday.

How many tapes of HEROES did I send you? I just finished the tape with eps 12-17, but I don't remember sending you two tapes. Please let me know. I'm finishing up a third junk TV tape right now, so hopefully your package will go out early next week. Any particular food you want? Got some cool new peanut stuff in there.