Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Polygamy

Yesterday the topic of Mormons and polygamy came up in a conversation. The two mormons living in Oita City are extremely visible because they always ride around the city wearing white dress shirts and don bicycle helmets (people here don't wear helmets so if you want to stick out, wear a helmet). Every couple years two new Mormons come to replace the old ones to fulfill their missionary duties, and they always wear the same style of helmets and ride around the city on their bicycles so people probably don't realize that they're actually two new guys.

It seems some people have negative impressions of Mormons, but I've never met a Mormon I didn't like. They've always been really nice and considerate, and being Mormon didn't affect anything one way or another. In university I used to live with a couple Mormons, and they were so down-to-earth and friendly.

Apparently over the last couple years CNN has had a bajillion articles about the arrest of a Mormon leader and the disbanding of everyone on the ranch, but I just heard about it recently. The article I came across the other day suggested that the children were much better off on the ranch than being split up and sent to foster homes. I don't know much about the situation, but I found a hilarious video with a catchy tune that keeps replaying itself in my head.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, you blogged and I'm so glad!

I have often seen the two young guys since I was very young. I was wondering how come they never look old. Actually I was one of the people who didn't realize they are new guys.

People tend to see aversion to others who have very different view points from what we believe. I don't have a negative feeling toward Mormon, but do have one toward FLDS; all those strange hairstyles, clothes, and their blind obedience to their leader. I don't like seeing them.

The wives in the video look sooo wierd to me!