Sunday, April 13, 2008

Taiwan Day 8 - Back to Japan

I tried to see as much as I could up until the last minute. I lost time trying to find a traditional paper museum (I never found it) because the map in the guidebook had the museum I was looking for in the wrong place. I know you're thinking that I shouldn't blame the guidebook for my poor sense of direction, but I know it was the book and not me! The address of the museum just couldn't have been on the block it was marked on.

Miniatures Museum of Taiwan
I was surprised and sort of disappointed to see that most of the miniature houses on display were done by Americans. I was in Taiwan, so I wanted to see things made by Taiwanese people. It was still worth visiting though.

There were dozens of perfect re-creations of old-style homes and fantasy lands. My favorites were the European aristocratic miniatures.
Much more than the miniature homes, I was impressed by the eggshells. How do you cut such fine symmetrical patterns without cracking the shell? Nice.There were lots of these fairy-themed eggs, too.
Final meal
Everything on the plate is vegetarian! Really good imitations of meat, don't you think? The chicken nuggets were compressed tofu. The sausage was colored dough. The sesame chicken was wheat gluten. The pork slices were a kind of pressed starch. They were like little works of vegetarian art. And this restaurant was inside Taipei Main Station, so I could eat and then hop on a bus to the airport.
To Those Carrying Chickens:

Airport
There was a Hello Kitty section of the airport that was all pink. Even the phones and clocks were a part of the Hello Kitty motif! I saw a young guy taking and retaking photos of this section until he got the perfect photo. He gave me a look like, "Yeah, so?" which I found amusing.And that ended my trip to Taiwan. The flight is only two hours and it's pretty cheap, so I'll probably go again sometime.

2 comments:

Speck said...

ok, I haven't read all the posts yet about your trip...just wanted to let you know I mailed your package on Monday(or Tuesday?), so hopefully you'll get it soon. Let me know when you get it, ok?

Speck said...

dude. Have you received the package yet? Ugh, all the chocolate's going to be melted! That'll teach me for waiting four months before I mail it.