Saturday, April 21, 2007

True love

After having the same old phone for 3 years, I figured it was time to get something new. I went to the phone shop and had a look at the dozens of models display. The mini-TV phones were too bulky to fit comfortably in my front pocket. The new super-slim phones were pretty cool, but were so slim they seemed fragile. There were a few that looked nice, but the buttons felt weird or they make that clicking sound when flipped open (some people like that but I wanted something quiet). I found myself drawn to the Docomo F703i. So sleek, so shiny. But *gasp*.... they were sold out!!!!! I ended up spending the next 4 hours driving around to different Docomo branches until I finally found the model and color I was after. And it was definitely worth it. I absolutely love love love love my new phone!!!!!!!!

The F703i is the first waterproof phone on the market. Now I can play games while sitting in the bath (currently raising fish for the aquarium screensaver I downloaded). And no worries about walking in the rain or dropping it into the toilet! (never actually happened to me, but so many people have told me their phones died because of toilet incidents).
It also doubles as an ipod. I don't particularly need an ipod, but just to try it out I downloaded a few songs from Napster (2-weeks free service with purchase of phone - yay!) to use as ring tones. The great thing is you can set each person to a different ring tone, so I know who's calling or sending mail just by what song's playing. I love that part.

Mostly I love it because the outer shell is made of reflective glass. You can set the lights behind the mirrors to do different things, like tell you when there's a message or do funky patterns when you get a call. I've got mine set to display the time and do a funky light show in colored lights when I open or close it :)

And here it is! My new phone (color Lamp Black). Here's a before/after shot of the time showing up when I close it.

The unfortunate part is it cost a lot for functions I won't use. The camera quality is only 1.3 megapixels so I'll rely on my regular camera (7.0 megapixels), and I probably won't be doing much netsurfing on such a small screen. It'll mainly be used for mail and the occasional phone call. But I love the sleek black face and the hidden lights behind the mirrors. I'm such a sucker for design.

The screensaver aquarium looks so real (tried taking a photo but they kept coming out blurry). I downloaded a saltwater tank with some of those Nemo clownfish and a few blue ones for color. If they stay healthy for a couple weeks the site'll let me download something new :)

No comments: