Sunday, January 14, 2007

Happy New Year!

I spent New Year's Eve in the Japanese way - no countdowns, no parties, no noise and no big hubbub. I went to my ex's place (we started hanging out again last month) where we watched TV for a while, then headed to a nearby shrine at about 2am when we figured the crowds had died down.
Yusuhara Shrine is just a short drive up the mountain in the outskirts of Oita City. I pass by the turnoff almost everyday on my way to work but I've never actually been there. I absolutely loved it. We parked in a field and climbed up the stone steps to the first gate (the upper photo). From there several paths led through the woods to the main shrine - most of them were pretty creepy at 2am, so we stuck to the one lined by lanterns that led straight up to the main entrance.

When I visit a new shrine I like to buy a protection charm from the priestesses selling them in the inner courtyard, but I passed on by when I saw the cheapest ones were 800 yen. I guess they must have had a tough year if charms cost double what I'm used to paying.


Usually you throw some money into the offertory box, ring the bell, clap your hands and make a wish for the coming year. But this one had a cool drum! I threw some money into the tray and gave a couple resonant thumps that echoed throughout the mountains.

Then like I do every year, I threw some money into another box and picked an omikuji. The dictionary says an omikuji is a "written oracle". It's a bound piece of paper that has all kinds of fortunes written on it and it determines your luck for the coming year. You can get them at any shrine, but the one you pull on your first shrine visit of the year is the most important. Some people like to swirl their hands around in the hundreds of omikuji fishing for the right one, but I figure the first one you touch is the one that's meant for you. I got a Daikichi! It's the best possible one you can get. Last year I got one that foretold a complete absence of luck, so I tied it to a nearby pine tree which helps to nullify the fortune.

If you pull a Daikichi you're supposed to keep it close to you. I've got mine in my wallet. Next year I have to go back to the same shrine where I got it from so the priests can burn it and release the fortune to let it go back to wherever it is that fortunes comes from. There are 13 specific categories on mine and the two I like best are:

Wishes: will come true as you hope for.
The person you are waiting for: will come for you.

I look forward to the coming year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is just the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Wish we had cool traditions like that in America. Wonder what my fortune would've said.