Thursday, June 22, 2006

Earthquakes

There haven't been any noteworthy earthquakes around here for the last few years, but we had a nice one last week. I woke up at 5am with the bed banging against the wall and the entire apartment creaking. The light fixture was swinging back and forth and I thought to myself, "This is a flimsy apartment made of wood and I live on the first floor. If everything comes crashing down on me, I haven't got a chance." But instead of running out the door, I stayed in bed and waited for the shaking to stop. And fell right back asleep when it did.

Later after getting out of bed I checked the news and discovered that the earthquake felt so big because the epicenter was right here in Oita! They're usually far away and we only get a level 1 or 2 tremor around here, but this one was a 5 and lasted for about 15 seconds. Felt like a lot longer though.

Out of curiosity I just checked the national earthquake information site and it looks like there are minor earthquakes on the island almost everyday. I wonder if that means another big one's coming up.

1 comment:

Speck said...

Next time....RUN! You are so funny. A 5 is pretty serious. Glad it didn't damage your place.